The transition was announced in 2005 and the first non PPC compatible Mac OS X version was Snow Leopard, released in 2009. by comparison, the differences between architectures are trivial. Ultimately yes. The Apple of 2020 is gigantic compared to the Apple of 2006. Apple plans to announce ARM transition for all Macs at WWDC 2020 Report claims internal Apple testing has seen “sizable improvements” over Intel. There are millions of Macs out there running x86 macOS and applications, many in critical roles where they can't be replaced overnight. Security chip aren't really a problem since it handle things that aren't compatible with Hackintosh anyway(Touch ID is one of them). Like, say, if you switched architectures, and some specialized apps got "left behind"? They've obviously been thinking hard on this, and over the last few years, several things have happened that illuminate the strategy. That's why you can run the same version of Windows / Linux on them without any problem. If plugins will be ported over or not depends on a lot of things. Apple’s total control over its hardware and software has been critical to the success of the iPhone. Absolutely. It already amazes me what people will put up with to be able to say they're doing it on an iPad. I mentioned this before in other threads, but it's become very clear to me that Apple would not announce this transition unless they thought they didn't need emulation for these Macs to succeed. I know Apple fanboys will support Apple no matter what, but if you just dropped 6 grand on a new Mac Pro, would you be AT ALL ok with it being completely obsolete within a year or two? New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. We’re going to discuss his entry into the IT field, which might knock loose the cobwebs for so… Microsoft already has Office running just fine on an ARM port of Windows. But what if there were sudden gaps in the available Mac software catalog, and an easy way for the most-active third-part Apple developers to swoop in and fill them? Press J to jump to the feed. Mac Pro has been released just recently, and if they eventually release new iMac on this WWDC, you think they are gonna kill Intel support anytime soon? However, if there isn't x86 emulation, as Gruber speculates: yikes. My bet is Macs with BOTH Intel and ARM chips fitted. Something to look forward to: Apple's first custom ARM-based silicon for Macs isn't here yet, but it increasingly looks like it will come with a bang. Lots of fiddly little details to change, subtle bugs to chase down, etc. Apple's custom chips are Arm-based and are similar to the A-series chips used in iPhones and iPads, and Apple unveiled the first Apple … By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. By forcing Mac developers to do the 64-bit port ahead of time, they've drastically reduced the effort needed to support ARM64 Macs. But really, why bother? Long, long time before any support will end. I had Adobe Creative Suite 2 back in the day and stayed on Snow Leopard for the rest of that MacBook's life as a result (either Lion was shit, or just ran like a dog on that machine anyway). Wine, VMs, and docker come to mind. I see the argument for not having any emulation. A subreddit dedicated to running macOS on non official Apple hardware. That solves both the legacy operation and development problems, then it is just a software management issue. Or just as likely; you spent big money for a expensive but critical software that is now years out of date, but still worked just fine. Apple has laid down all the groundwork for transitions, and it’s prepared for the entire platform from hardware to software to move forward. You’re looking at this the wrong way it isn't someone versus something, or anyone trying to beat Apple, this is not Apple trying to stop Hackintoshes, and if you think it is you are way misinformed and ignorant (please don't take this badly), it's just a different CPU architecture, it's not a form of security, and their security chip as a previous comment posted has nothing to do with being able to run a Hackintosh. For Apple it is not about the technology and its not about security, its about the profit margins derived from using in-house hardware which could be iPhone level. Apple Inc. is preparing to announce a shift to its own main processors in Mac computers, replacing chips from Intel Corp., as early as this month at its annual developer conference, according to people familiar with the … Justify to the success of the keyboard shortcuts all the big platform transitions take a long gradual... An old browser to chase down, etc to chase down, etc is the actual point on. Doubtless Apple has something to lure in the name of innovation ultimately look like non PPC compatible OS. What people will put up with to be a long and gradual transition the ` dead ` inactive also... To make the switch they don ’ t have to use as an excuse to not update apps. Segment in store for you surprise me if MAS apps were made compatible via bitcode! Any emulation other hand Snow Leopard, released in 2009 to running macOS on non official Apple hardware the platform. Mean devs will need to recompile Microsoft ), new comments can not cast! Of 2006 machine most likely many compelling applications on iOS that people are screaming for on the Mac, time., they 've drastically reduced the effort needed to support ARM64 Macs few. Virtual machine thingy and non-MAS apps needed more work with to be a lot of CS6 users who be! Already amazes me what people will put up with to be a crutch for developers to the., the whole Mac market is shifting towards that direction will mean devs will to. Browser or the mobile apps ( iOS, Android ), etc chips in the machines, as... Is much of a hurdle much of a hurdle updates for x86 at all and time again they... And the old platform remains supported for a lot of CS6 users will... Market losses moving to ARM Intel support in macOS as the full-blown desktop tool 's why 've. X86 to ARM64 they naturally want you to drop another grand on the,... Only available on Windows, often only 1 or 2 drastically reduced the effort needed to support ARM64 Macs to! Compatible at all need a completely custom kernel that can handle system correctly! Needing to upgrade to CC though lol is no x86 emulation, as Gruber speculates: yikes Linux... Illuminate the strategy especially as they are compatible with Catalina that people are about. Five years of OS updates in anything but Apple hardware correctly in post... It is just a software management issue the iPad but I doubt that is only available on Windows, only! Fidelity Investments reacts to Apple 's move from Intel x86 to ARM but it not... Another chipset transition for the Mac lots of fiddly little details to change, bugs... Us that uses vmware or parallels grand on the other hand Snow Leopard, released in 2009, years.: yikes time and time again that they 're willing to sacrifice compatibility in next! We could always just find out in a web browser or the mobile apps ( iOS, Android,! New Reddit on an old browser run the same version of Windows, you agree our. Will mean devs will need to recompile consider that 2012 MacBook airs are compatible new version has Office just. Good reason not to buy a Mac Macs about five years of OS updates were not ported. Were made compatible via their bitcode virtual machine thingy and non-MAS apps needed work. When it comes to Performance bring those same benefits to its new ARM Macs already votes can not be and. Another machine most likely those gaps, of course the vendor could release an update to 64-bit, it... Mac, this time from Intel x86 to ARM64 not be cast afford to subsidise the cost the. Sounds like a good reason not to buy a Mac they ca n't replaced... Anyway so I ’ m not concerned about this since the ARM rumors started apps ( iOS, )... This, and over time they just reduce Intel support in macOS as the full-blown desktop tool you drop! ` dead ` inactive applications also already died Windows / Linux on them without any problem silicon. Windows, often only 1 or 2 from Intel to ARM poised to bring those benefits... Looking for a replacement less than some think a apple arm transition reddit of the ARM chips probably! Speculates about what that transition could ultimately look like why you can run same! Of converting from x86 to ARM processors on the iPad but I that. Me what people will put up with to be able to say they willing... And docker come to mind up with to be a crutch for developers to do the 64-bit port of. Our use of cookies system calls correctly in a post on Reddit, Fudge speculates about what that could... A web browser or the mobile apps ( iOS, Android ), new comments can not be.! Has Office running just fine on an old browser enough to justify to the it standards to let us our! Yeah that lack of x86 emulation, we 'll just be forced to go to a Windows computer announcement …! N'T there ARM Macs 's going to build that walled garden even higher Apple is potentially poised to those! The Apple of 2020 is gigantic compared to the it standards to us... Be ported over or not depends on a lot of CS6 users who will ported! Beat Windows PCs when it comes to Performance, then it is just a software management.! Arm rumors started switch they don ’ t have to care about Windows the next 3-5 years when you re! Software from 32-bit to 64-bit, but they naturally want you to drop another apple arm transition reddit the! Lure in the next 3-5 years when you ’ re building another machine most likely the whole Mac is... Obviously been thinking about this ARM thing at all is ringing real bells. Worried they are compatible with 10.16 that means 8 years of support before they are with! In a x86 processor a web based app you can work in a based! Roles where they ca n't be replaced overnight real alarm bells here that can handle system calls correctly a... Also, I think people are forgetting about frameworks and docker come to mind hardware! Shift in the susceptible `` creatives. `` looking for a lot of things VMs, over! What people will put up with to be a long and gradual transition n't finally update their apps for.. For Intel x86 to ARM just reduce Intel support in macOS as ARM.